With all I have been through lately, I am so happy to post this recipe. From my smart phone going goo goo to two of my laptops crashing, all in the space of one week. I was wondering if I was jinxed. All my data; photos, videos et al got lost. I almost beat myself up for not having an external hard drive with the kind of work I do. I felt so helpless, I cried, I prayed…and of course cursed and kicked to expel my sadness but above all, I learned. I learnt to be extra careful with my work.
In the end, it all turned out nicely. I had some quiet time to review and plan some new, delicious recipes and this is one of them. 🙂
Most times in our quiet moments we find answers. I have been thinking about MatseCooks and how to make the brand even better and like the apostle saw visions in the book of Revelation, I have been seeing ideas in different dimensions.
Believe me, all kinds of beautiful ideas have been flowing into my head but I will not be in a hurry to implement them, I will let them age gracefully in my mind like fine wine and then carefully execute them one after the other. 🙂
I know as Nigerians, we love rice. Some people can have it three times a day. Well, this is another fine way to enjoy rice. Gorgeously made with few ingredients but a sure delight for you and your family. Follow my instructions and your dish will come out perfectly ya! 🙂
Now, let’s cook!
Now cook some beef with some nicely chopped spring onions, onions, thyme, seasoning cubes and salt. Add a lot of water to get more meat stock, the stock will be used for cooking the basmati rice.
Soak the basmati rice in tap water for 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse then drain. No need to parboil. We don’t want to cook Tuwo please. 🙂 Soaking it in water softens the rice a bit but makes it great for steaming with the meat stock.
Now that the meat is cooked with the stock prepared. Pour the drained rice into a fresh pot, with a sieve, strain some meat stock into the pot. The stock should be on the same level with the rice. Cover and allow to cook over medium heat. Dice the beef scrapes into tiny pieces for the rice.
Cook until the stock has been absorbed by the rice and it looks fluffed like this. Great!
Promptly take it off the flame and spread nicely on a tray.
Matse’s tip: This stops the cooking process of the rice and keeps it nicely cooled and clump free.
While the rice is cooling, cut carrots and spring onions into tiny sizes. Just like these. It should be slightly bigger than the tip of a match stick. Perfect!
Now, beat some eggs, add a little salt to taste and scramble them in a pan with a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Just like this! Correct! Set it aside.
In a fresh frying pan, add two tablespoons of vegetable oil, add a part of the carrots and stir fry for 2 minutes, pour some spring onions into the pan and some diced meat, stir fry for 1 minute, then add some scrambled eggs to the pan and blend together.
Add a part of the cooled rice to the pan, two table spoons of soy sauce and blend over heat. Add some salt if need. Repeat the process with the rest of the ingredients.
Delicious looking huh?!
Here is a handy printable. 🙂
- 4 cups basmati rice
- Scraps of beef and bones to make stock
- 6 stalks of spring onions (2 for the stock and 4 for the rice)
- 1 onion (for the stock)
- Seasoning cubes (for the stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (for the stock)
- 2 carrots (diced into tiny pieces)
- 4 eggs (beaten and scrambled)
- Vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1. Prepare the sock with scrapes of beef and bones. Add the sliced spring onions, sliced onions, thyme, season and salt. Pour some water into the pot and cook to make stock for the rice.
- 2. Soak the rice in cold water for 20 to 30 minutes. Then rinse and drain in a colander.
- 3. Pour the rice into a clean pot, with a sieve, strain some stock into the pot containing the rice to about the same level as the rice. Cover and cook until it fluffs. Dice and save the cook meat scrapes to add to the rice later.
- 4. When the rice is ready. spread on a tray to cool it up.
- 5. Beat, add a pinch of salt and scramble the eggs in a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- 6. Divide all ingredients into two parts.
- 7. In a clean frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, fry the carrots for 2 minutes, add some spring onions and diced beef. Then the scrambled eggs and blend together.
- 8. Follow up with a part of the rice. Add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and some salt to taste and stir fry. When it it properly done and tasty, take it off the flame and repeat the process with the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve immediately with a side of your choice.